Earth Day falls on the 22 of April each year. This is a great day to celebrate the earth and be reminded of how fragile our planet is the importance of protecting it. Earth day is focused on promoting clean living and a healthy, sustainable habitat for people and wildlife alike. You can find out more about Earth Day here.
Earth day provides us with a fantastic opportunity to talk to our children about the earth. People of all ages can and do look after the earth! These Earth day kid’s activities are fun to do on this special day. As well as making one of these fun crafts and partaking in the activities we encourage you to talk to your children about Earth Day and the positive impact they can have on the earth.
Earth Day Kids Activities
Talk To Children About
- Water conservation
- Reusing where possible over buying new
- Saving energy
Earth Day Crafts
We have found some of the best crafts that you can do with your children this earth day.
Torn Paper Earth
Get your free printable earth template from Crafts On A Sea and make a torn paper earth. This is a fun craft project that suits a wide age range of kids.
Learn about the layers of the earth with the help of this fun project by Surviving Teacher Salary. When completed you can spin the earth to see the different layers and facts on the layers.
Recycled Bird Feeder
Reuse recyclables to make a bird feeder. A great focus on recycling, reusing as well as providing for one of the earth creatures. Find a bird feeder to suit your needs here.
Earth Day Weaving
A simple paper plate weaving craft that kids of all ages will love. Find out how to set up this craft over at Pre- K Pages.
Earth Day Word Search
Print out and complete this fun word search for Earth Day.
Recycled Plant Pot
Use a recyclable to create a plant pot. Be creative, soda bottles, tin cans, and milk jugs all will work well. Head over to our roundup, 5 DIY Recycled Plant Pots to get some inspiration.
Use an old box, yarn or string as a weaving base for all sorts of lovely plants found around your property. Click here to find out more.
More Recycled Crafts
Making crafts from recycled materials is the perfect activity to do on Earth Day. Use whatever you have on hand already at home. Check out our article, Lockdown Kids Crafts Using Recycled Materials for more recycled craft ideas.
Other Family Activities For Earth Day
- Go on a family walk and pick up rubbish.
- Plant a tree.
- Do a rubbish audit and make sure everything that can be is placed in the recycling.
- Go birdwatching. Can you name the birds you see?
- Start a worm farm or compost. Make a simple compost bin here.
- Go through your toys and clothes and make a pile to be either repaired or donated.
Earth Day Books
Here is a list of our favorite books that are great to read on earth day. These are affiliate links which means that we earn a commission through linked sales. This doesn’t add a cost to you and helps us keep diyThought running. Thank you for your support!
- I Can Save The Earth. A new “green” series!: Little Green Books will educate children on what they can do to be more eco-friendly.
- I Am Earth- An Earth Day Book For Kids, by James McDonald. I Am Earth introduces kids to the basic concepts of earth science while also encouraging the importance of taking care of our special planet through environmental awareness and sustainability.
- Recycling Is Fun, by Charles Ghigna. Children learn that sorting recycling and giving new life to old things is not only good for the environment. It is a whole lot of fun, too!
- Thank You, Earth: A Love Letter to Our Planet, by April Pulley Sayre. Acclaimed children’s book author and photographer April Pulley Sayre’s love letter to Earth is a stunning exploration of the beauty and complexity of the world around us.