Get your Cricut ready for this stunning Matariki Star Cricut Project which is perfect to make to celebrate Matariki. These stars are simple to make and are a beautiful way to decorate and reflect on Matariki which celebrates the Māori New Year. This Matariki star is made using a Cricut machine which means that you can make your own stunning star in next to no time!
Matariki Star Cricut Project
This post contains affiliate links. These links add no cost to you but mean that we earn a commission through linked sales. This helps us to keep our content free for you. Thank you for your support!
Matariki is the Māori name for the star cluster Matariki also known as the Pleiades. The star cluster rises in mid-winter and is celebrated by Māori and other New Zealanders as the Māori New Year. From 2022 New Zealand has a public holiday to honor this special occasion. Traditionally Matariki was celebrated with music, song, dance, food, and family nowadays Matariki is celebrated throughout New Zealand with celebrations within schools, museums, community events, and cultural performances.
If you are unfamiliar with Cricut then this is one handy craft must-have machine. Cricut is a creative tech brand that offers a range of smart cutting machines that allow individuals to make a huge range of DIY professional-looking craft projects, gifts, and decals. Cricut cutting machines can cut, draw, emboss, engrave, and transfer designs on a range of different materials including everything from cardstock, vinyl, and iron-on materials to fabric and even wood! To find out more about Cricut click here.
- Cricut Smart Cutting machine (either Maker or Explore family)
- 5 x Cardstock sheets in the colour of your choice
- Cricut StandardGrip Cutting Mat
- Hot Glue Gun
- String or ribbon (optional)
- Computer, phone or tablet with the Cricut Design Space app installed
- Open the Cricut Design Space app on your computer, phone or tablet and connect it to your Cricut smart cutting machine via Bluetooth.
- On the home page, search ‘Matariki Star Project’ in the search bar.
- Select the project available and click ‘Make It’.
- Select your first layer to be cut and click ‘continue’.
- Place one sheet of cardstock down on the Cricut Standard Grip cutting mat, and ensure it is flat and secure on the mat.
- Follow the prompts on your Design Space app and let your Cricut machine do all the cutting, replacing the mat when prompted.
- To assemble your Matariki Star, bend the mat to gently dislodge your cut cardstock from the adhesive on the mat. This way you won’t bend your cardstock!
- Once you have all the pieces for your Star, begin folding each piece in the centre and apply hot glue along the edges of each point of the star & create each star “leg”
- Once you have 7 cardstock star “legs” to form the points of your Matariki Star, use the hot glue along the shorter edges of the points and connect each of the 7 cylinders to one another, to form a Star.
- Once each point has been glued together you should be left with a beautiful Matariki Star which you can then attach string or a long, thin piece of cardstock in order to hang it up and display around the house!
f you wish to create a full garland of stars repeat this process as many times as you like and attach each star to a piece of string/yarn to create a stunning garland of stars. Enjoy and display your amazing hanging Matariki Star(s)!